Return To Your Search Results
Job Posting Detailed View
| National Renewable Energy Laboratory
| 9/13/2012 6:36:36 PM
| Occupational Safety & Fire Protection Program Lead
| The National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), located in beautiful Golden, CO, is a leader in the U.S. Department of Energy’s effort to secure an energy future for the nation that is environmentally and economically sustainable. Our mission is to develop renewable energy and energy efficiency technologies and practices, advance related science and engineering and transfer knowledge and innovations to address the nation’s energy and environmental goals.
Occupational Safety and Fire Protection Program Leader
The National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) in Golden, Colorado, is the nation's primary laboratory for research, development and deployment of renewable energy and energy efficiency technologies. NREL has an opening for an Occupational Safety and Fire Protection Program Leader.
The advanced level position is responsible for strategic planning, and directing development of specific occupational safety programs and projects. Interacts with general staff, EHS and Quality staff, project managers, senior management, and DOE management on a regular basis. Works with minimal direction. Acts as a subject matter expert and provides training on the topics of fire and life safety, process hazard assessments, and other industrial safety programs. May also serve as an EHS Point of Contact providing EHS support services to NREL organizations.
- Applies advanced EHS technical skills and expertise to lead and support NREL’s Property Protection and Occupational Safety Programs.
- Develops realistic goals and objectives for continuous program improvement, monitors performance and implements program modifications to improve performance.
- Benchmarks with peers at other National Laboratories (EFCOG) and industry to further NREL’s occupational safety programs.
- Works with Line Managers and Center/Office Directors to verify program support and work delivery.
- Works with QA Office to develop and complete periodic self-assessments for applicable programs.
- Assume Subject Matter Expert responsibilities Property Protection and Life Safety.
- Support risk management process by consulting with peers, researchers and management on the safety review process, which may include: leading or participating in process hazard analyses, assisting in the development of operational procedures, participating in pre-start-up safety reviews.
- Support fellow EHS subject matter experts with implementation (including training, assessments, procedure maintenance, and consultation) of the following programs:
- Pressure safety
- Compressed gas safety
- Confined Space
- Lockout tagout
- Hoisting and Rigging
- Electrical Safety (NEC, NFPA-70E)
- Fall Protection
- Machine Guarding
- Powered Industrial Truck
- Aerial Lifts
- Research equipment design (regarding EHS aspects)
-Identifies budgetary needs for program improvements.
-As an EHS Point of Contact, provide EHS support service to NREL organizations as assigned.
-Perform special project work as directed by EHS Management.
Required Education and Experience
- Relevant Bachelor's Degree and 9 or more years of experience or equivalent relevant education/experience.
- Or, relevant Master's Degree and 7 or more years of experience or equivalent relevant education/experience.
- Or, relevant PhD and 4 or more years of experience or equivalent relevant education/experience.
- Or, relevant JD and 4 or more years of experience or equivalent relevant education/experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Attributes
- Applies extensive technical expertise, and has full knowledge of other related disciplines.
- Contributes to the development of new concepts, techniques and standards. -Considered internal subject matter expert.
- Extensive knowledge of laws, regulations, principles, procedures and practices related to specific field.
- Excellent leadership, project management and problem solving skills.
- Ability to use various computer software programs.
Additional Required Knowledge, Skills and Attributes
- Ability to lead and participate on both intra-office and cross-organizational teams.
- Advanced technical knowledge of Fire and Life Safety and familiarity with ADA requirements.
- Experience and proven capabilities in occupational safety areas such as hoisting and rigging, fall protection, confined space, machine safeguarding, pressure safety, lockout tagout, electrical safety, PIT, Aerial Lifts.
- Ability to read and interpret building drawings and piping and instrumentation drawings.
- Experience facilitating and participating in Process Hazard Analyses (HAZOP, FMEA, Fault Tree Analysis).
- Knowledge in pressure vessels, piping codes, pumps, compressors and inspection techniques.
- Knowledge in welding/materials science.
- Familiar with HAZOPS.
- Excellent understanding of DOE and OSHA regulations.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities in programmatic planning, organization, improvement and execution.
- Innovative and creative thinking.
- Quality assurance training and experience (assessments, organization).
- Self-motivated with demonstrated ability to perform independently.
- Excellent interpersonal and oral/written communication skills.
- Proficient computer skills, including MS Office Suite, email and ability to quickly learn database software applications such as FileMaker.
- Ability to travel on occasion.
- Ability to perform site work that can involve extreme weather conditions and moderate physical exertion.
- Ability to walk one mile continuously, able to stand continuously for two hours, able to lift and carry forty-five pounds.
- Certified Safety Professional +/or Certified Industrial Hygienist.
- Master's degree in occupational safety, industrial hygiene, environmental health, or other relevant discipline.
- Thorough knowledge of and working experience with NFPA Standards, IBC, IFC, codes and standards. Strong working knowledge of NFPA-13, 20, 25, 72, and 101.
- An understanding of fire science focused in a variety of areas including, but not limited to, water based suppression, waterless suppression, detection or fire alarm system design, or areas such as fire growth and development (fire dynamics).
- The ability to determine design conformance with multiple codes which are enforced by various regulatory officials before, during and after construction.
- Ability to interpret and resolve conflicting codes and standards in order to achieve the tenets of Highly Protected Risk.
- Experience in conducting Fire Hazard Analysis, Fire and Life Safety assessments, and wildland fire risk assessments.
- Experience with inspecting and testing fire detection, alarm, and suppression systems.
- Experiencing in reviewing and approving lift plans for critical and complex crane lifts.
- Working knowledge of overhead and mobile cranes. Experience in conducting crane inspections, verifying operator credentials, and interpreting load charts.
- Experience consulting on EHS requirements (e.g. fire and life safety code requirements) during the design-build construction process.
- Experience working at a Department of Energy site.
- 40 hr HAZWOPER training.
- Ability and willingness to wear respiratory protection, including a full-face respirator. Ability and willingness to use SCBA.
EEO Policy / E-Verify
NREL's policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, age, color, sex, religion, national origin, marital or veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
NREL validates right to work using E-Verify. NREL will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. For additional information, please click here http://www.nrel.gov/employment/eeo.html.
Pre-employment drug testing required.
Submit Your Resume
Please go to our website at: www.nrel.gov/employment and select job number 2755BR.
Please include a cover letter specific to each position you are applying to indicating how you match the requirements of the posting.